If you are an outdoors person, you will agree that the car you use determines the amount of fun you extract from your excursions. While comparing the best in rides in this category, you will be looking for fuel efficiency, sturdiness, performance, safety and comfort. Here are some of the cars you need to check out:
- The 2010 Toyota FJ Cruiser: This car screams bomb-proof performance in the toughest mountain areas. This 4.0L, V6 offers you crazy 260hp torque on a part or full-time 4WD. For a rugged looking car, it offers a smooth ride on its off-road shocks.
- Subaru Outback 2.5i limited: This is an AWD but it fits your needs due to its great snow handling capability, more clearance than most wagons and comes with a roof rack for your gear. With heated front seats windshield de-icers and 173 hp you can say it is an affordable crossover.
- Toyota 4Runner Trail: Another Toyota makes the cut in form of the 4 Runner as a beast due to its mountain driving specific features. Consider crawl control, multi-terrain select and centre locking differentials and you know you are ready to eat up all the mountains. This 4.0, V6 270hp spacious monster is just waiting for you.
- 2011 Volvo XC70: You will enjoy 236 lb torque from the 235 hp engine in this Volvo. Fuel efficiency is great at 22/16 mpg but safety is what makes this car a winner. The reinforcedpassenger compartment, air bags for dual chambers, side impact protection and whiplash protection are just a few of the safety units you will enjoy.
- Jeep Wrangler with manual 4WD: This is a shoo-in in the list and you will enjoy driving smooth driving on snow or hard terrain. The 280hp, V6 8-speed auto transmission makes this car a heavy worker and of course its fuel efficiency is great.
- Dodge Durango: An old favourite of excursion lovers, you cannot go wrong with a Hemi engine Durango. The 2014 model boasts one of the best engines of the year and it is fully electronic. You cannot go wrong with this 3.6L, V6 machine which offers the widest range of safety features in this category of cars.
- Audi Q7 3.0L V6 TDI: In this model, luxury meets sportiness. This 3.0L, V6 TDI machine offers a spacious interior, 225 HP with the V6 engine putting 406 lb-ft of torque to make driving it a breeze. At 25mpg highway/17mpg city, this is an ideal ride because it is priced lower than other models in this class.
- Jeep Patriot: This is a surprise inclusion but mountain climbers love it due to its efficiency. All trims come with a standard 172hp 2.4L engine and it is available in both front and full wheel drive.
- BMW X5: This car blends off-road and on-road capability seamlessly. The turbocharged engine produces 300 HP, displaces 300 lb-ft torque while the 8-speed automatic transmission ensures you eat the mountains literally. What’s more the elegance of BMW inside is not compromised.
- Subaru Forester 2.5XT:This is an obvious inclusion in the top mountain cars with its engine producing 224hp and 226lb-ft of torque. It has great ground clearance for a Subaru and fuel efficiency at 24mpg/19mpg is great. What’s more, the beauty of the classic Subaru is not forgotten.
Before hitting out to the mountains you need to check your insurance cover. There is nothing as frustrating as getting stuck in the cold because you got the wrong insurance policy for the kind of use you know your car was to go through. As they say, better safe than sorry.